Planning a website or redesign? Wondering about website pricing and the website development process? Do you want to avoid common web design project risks? Then you’re in the right place!
Since 2005, I’ve been helping small businesses get the best start possible by helping to reduce risks as well as costs. I do that by providing:
- Affordable simple sites to cover common requirements — basic static sites, editable CMS sites and cost-effective ecommerce
- Professional website design & web development for more advanced needs
- Promotional services ranging from SEO and social media to content marketing and video
…and special consultation process to help you select the right solution to meet your goals. That’s what this page is about. Because whilst picking the wrong solution naturally wastes money, it’s still a common mistake.
Websites generate lots of stats that experienced web designers study. We know what really works, and what doesn’t. DIY tools and inexperienced designers can’t teach you that. So trying to compete by relying on luck, instinct and hearsay puts your business at risk.
Safer Website Planning & Pricing
Website Price Ranges
Whilst precise website prices vary with your needs, these ranges may help:
- £600 to £1.5k: Most simple sites
- £1.5k to £4.5k: Most entry-level pro sites, ecommerce or member sites
- £4.5k to £9k: Large or complex sites, some bespoke web development
- £9k+: Most bespoke web development
Large web development projects reduce risk by starting with a “Discovery” phase. That defines the solution, at 10%-20% of an initial estimate for the full project. There’s no commitment to completing the project until it has been examined in enough detail to set a firm price.
I offer this risk-reducing advance consultation for small projects, too. Here’s how that works:
- Call me — or book a free call back. If you only need a simple site, I’ll be happy to confirm that.
- Otherwise, I’ll offer an optional Discovery phase to investigate your goals in more detail. For projects up to £3k, this costs just £300.
- If you decide to proceed, the Discovery fee reduces the project price. So it’s effectively free.
So, you get better plans, lower risk and a lower implementation cost, and I get a happier client.
Why Trust My Advice?
Online marketing is technical, so amateurs and unscrupulous marketers spread a lot of hype. So why am I any different?
Well, experience for starters. I’ve been doing this a lot longer than most. Not just since I went freelance in 2005 specifically to help small businesses, either. I’ve been building websites since 1996, and helping small businesses get online since early 1997 — and that’s not all.
In those early years, I helped to set up Which? Online (the Consumers’ Association ISP). Then I ran and mentored its multiple-award-winning tech support team. You don’t do that without being extremely well-informed and genuinely keen to help others succeed.
Also, you need unbiased advice. Most web designers will only sell you the benefits of the type of site they specialise in. Offering everything from simple site packages to bespoke web design and web development lets me offer advice that’s focused on your needs.
Finally, my extensive expertise isn’t limited to web design. As a qualified programmer, I offer advanced web development too, and have been designing graphics, writing, and promoting businesses offline since the early ’80s. That lets me see a much bigger picture than more specialised web designers and online marketers. I can help you join the dots.
I think we should talk. Do you?