Planning your first website? Or your tenth? Or a redesign? Wondering about website pricing and the website development process? Great — I’m here to help!
Specifically, I’m here to help you avoid web design project risks — and one in particular. What is that? Wasting money on the wrong solution for your business.
You see, websites are investments that offer huge returns. However, to do that, they need to work with your marketing plans. Successful marketing plans are built on effective market research, though. So o websites vary as much as businesses do, and without proper research, it’s easy to waste money on a site that doesn’t suit your market.
For instance, when I started up in 2005, five-page “static” websites (non-editable sites) worked for many markets. Now, whilst they can still achieve some goals, editable websites with active content marketing strategies do better in search engines.
Website Planning & Pricing the Safe Way
Website Price Ranges
Website prices depend on your needs, but here are my normal “ballpark” ranges:
- Up to £1.5k: Most simple sites
- Up to £3k: Most entry-level pro sites, some ecommerce or member sites
- £3k to £10k: Large ecommerce or other complex sites, some bespoke web development
- £10k +: Most bespoke web development and other complex sites
These make simplifying assumptions, so can’t be guaranteed — but i hope they help.
I’m cutting those rates by 20% until July. I also offer flexible payment plans to let you manage setup costs. So, call today, or:
Large bespoke web development projects have a way to minimise this risk. They need a “Discovery” phase to detail the solution before they can confirm the pricing. So many offer that first, at 10%-20% of the initial estimate for the whole project. There’s no commitment to completing the project until it has been examined in enough detail to set a firm price.
I offer this risk-reducing advance consultation for small projects, too. Here’s how that works:
- Book a short, free phone consultation here (or just call me)
- For clarity, Discovery is optional for all but the largest projects. Small simple sites have limited uses, so a phone call is usually enough to check if these will really meet your goals. The smallest sites can cost less than Discovery anyway.
- If you decide to proceed with Discovery, we can start that on payment of a non-refundable deposit. For projects that seem likely to cost under £3k, I can do this for a flat fee of just £300.
- We’ll then discuss your goals in more detail. As personal meetings aren’t practical right now, I like to arrange a video meeting at this stage. That’s optional, though — we can cover everything by phone and email if you prefer.
- I’ll then research your target keywords and competitors’ web presences, and provide these findings along with suggestions on how to reach your goals, as well as website pricing and schedules.
If you decide to go ahead with the project, the cost of this Discovery consultation comes off the project price. So it’s effectively free. You get some competitor research, better plans, more certainty and a lower implementation cost, and I get a happier client.
There’s no obligation to go further though. So investing in this expert advice first avoids wasting far more on a website that wouldn’t have met your goals.