Planning your first website? Or your tenth? Or a redesign? Wondering about website pricing and the website development process? Great — I’m here to help!
Specifically, I’m here to help you avoid web design project risks — and one in particular. What is that? Wasting money on the wrong solution for your business.
You see, websites are investments that offer huge returns — but to do that, they need to work with your marketing plans. Successful marketing plans are built on effective market research, though. So o websites vary as much as businesses do, and without proper research, it’s easy to waste money on a site that doesn’t suit your market.
For instance, when I started up in 2005, five-page “static” websites (non-editable sites) worked for many markets. Now, whilst they can still achieve some goals, they struggle to compete with editable websites with active content marketing strategies.
Website Planning & Pricing the Safe Way
Website Price Ranges
Whilst website prices do vary a lot, we can outline a few “ballpark” ranges:
- Up to £3k: Most entry-level sites and some ecommerce or member sites
- £3k to £10k: Larger or more advanced sites, some bespoke web development
- £10k +: Most bespoke web development and other complex sites
These make simplifying assumptions, so can’t be guaranteed — but i hope they help.
Large bespoke web development projects have a way to minimise this risk. They need a “Discovery” phase to detail the solution before they can confirm the pricing. So many offer that first, at 10%-20% of the initial estimate for the whole project. There’s no commitment to completing the project until it has been examined in enough detail to set a firm price.
I offer this risk-reducing advance consultation for small projects, too. Here’s how that works:
- Book a short, free phone consultation here.
- If you decide to proceed with Discovery, we can start that on payment of a non-refundable deposit. For projects that seem likely to cost under £3k, I can do this for a flat fee of just £300.
- We’ll then discuss your goals in more detail. If you’re nearby, I like to meet in person at this stage –- or in a video meeting otherwise. That’s optional, though — we can cover everything by phone and email if you prefer.
- I’ll then research your target keywords and competitors’ web and provide these findings along with suggestions on how to reach your goals, as well as website pricing and schedules.
If you decide to go ahead with the project, the cost of this Discovery consultation comes off the project price. So it’s effectively free. You get some competitor research, better plans, more certainty and a lower implementation cost, and I get a happier client.
There’s no obligation to go further though. So investing in this expert advice first avoids wasting far more on a website that wouldn’t have met your goals.